9.22.2014

NYC Top 10 things to do and see

I'm back from an amazing 5 days in NYC.  On Thursday I attended the Better Homes and Gardens Stylemakers Event. But, I actually flew out on Monday so that I could have a couple days in the city by myself. Lately I've been feeling very burnt out and just kind of blah. I was lucky enough to get invited to the BHG event again and my husband suggested that I take a couple more days to get lost in the city. I'm so grateful. I walked and walked and ate all kinds of amazing food and just enjoyed being by myself. I highly suggest a couple days in the city to just people watch, sight see, walk and just have some time to think. 

Lon and I spent 5 days in NYC last Summer to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and then last Fall I went to the BHG event, so after this trip, I feel like I'm a lot more familiar with the city. I thought I'd put together a Top 10 for NYC, kind of like I did for Maui. These are definitely not all the top tourist sites, but they are the things and places I would totally go back to and not want to miss if I'm in NYC again.  


1. Ride the Subway! Get yourself a Metro pass (I got a 7 day unlimited pass for just $30). It's not only efficient and convenient, it's a great way to people watch.  I put the Embark app on my phone, and it never steered me wrong.  

2. I have lots of food suggestions for NYC, but Dough Brooklyn is AMAZING! I've had their Lemon Poppy Seed and Passionfruit. 

3. The Met is a must. I love seeing the impressionists and this time I made it to the roof top garden. If the weather is nice, definitely have a Jalapeno Lemonade (with or without Tequila).

4. Use the Citi Bikes. It's a great way to see the city. Lon and I even biked over the Brooklyn Bridge a couple times.

5. The Brooklyn Flea is a fun stop if you are there on a weekend.

6. See a Broadway Show!!! There's nothing like it. My favorite show so far in Once, but everything I've seen has been amazing.  Buy your tickets the day of the show at TKTS in Time Square and save up to 50% off, that's how we've seen everyshow.  Why spend $140 when you can get tickets for $70, and we've gotten amazing seats everytime.

7. Eat Pizza! No really, NYC has amazing Pizza. This time we ate at a fun place in Brooklyn called Roberta's. They have a fun outdoor eating area, and someone was chopping wood for the wood oven during the meal.  Grimaldi's is supposed to be the best, but every piece I had in the city was really top notch.

8. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (or bike).  It's a gorgeous bridge and the views of Manhattan and Brooklyn from it and amazing.

9. Take a picture of Manhattan from Dumbo in Brooklyn (especially at night). It's also fun to take the Staten Island Ferry for a good view of the city.

10. And last, but definitely not least, visit Central Park.  It's gorgeous and you can't believe you are still in the city. If you are traveling with kiddos, be sure to take them to Heckscher Playground in the park.

And because there really is so much to do and see in the city, here's a few bonus things to add to the list:

- Have a bagel at Ess-a-Bagel
- Visit the Flower District
- If you love dishes, Fishs Eddy is a must.
- Have a shake or just frozen custard at Shake Shack by the Flatiron.
- Eat ANYTHING at Eately.
- Brunch or breakfast at Sarabeth's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...