9.03.2011

Thrift Store Entryway Table - the finished product

Well, I'm not a very patient person.  When I get an idea in my head, I have to get started right away.  So, I decided what I wanted to do with my thrift store find.  I decided to keep the white laminate top.  I wasn't willing to tackle trying to strip that off right now, plus I think it adds to the fun retro feel (and it should be easy to clean).


I opted to paint the sides and legs white to match the top.  I felt like the white would frame out the drawers.  I just gave it a light sanding and then painted it a semi-gloss white.  With a little TLC and some Zap! Professional Wood Restorer, I cleaned up the drawer fronts.  They really have some nice wood grain and color to them.  It mirrors the family silhouette with the chocolate brown framed in white.


I kept the original hardware, partly because I wasn't sure what to replace it with and party because I like the brass color.  I tend to lean toward silver and pewter accents, a little brass seemed like a fun change.



I'm loving the opportunity to style the top of this piece of furniture.  I put out some of my favorite picture books, some fun things from my travels, and a new retro shaped lamp (see below).  It will be fun to change up things with different seasons and holidays.


Mercury glass lamp - Home Goods
Hand Made Recycled Glass Bowl - Fire and Light
Antique Quill and Ink Holder - bought in Yemen
Porcelain Painted Elephant - Mlesna Tea, bought in Sri Lanka
Basket Tray - bought in Papua New Guinea
Chubby Brown Vase - leftover product from a shop I owned a few years ago (Mango)
Assorted Books - collected over the years


Now doesn't that look better?  I'm actually kind of embarrassed of the look I had before (or lack of look I should say).

2 comments:

  1. i like both entryways- but with 2 kids, 1 on the way for you- i'd say you can't beat extra storage! kristin- (jess' friend- not a random blogstalker!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love the dresser and the styling.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...