1.25.2016

Red Velvet Sundaes

Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and red velvet is always the perfect dessert for this holiday. I've already made these sundaes twice for my family.  I have to say, this might just be the best homemade ice cream ever. It's the creamiest, smoothest ice cream. Topped with rich red velvet fudge, it's definitely a special treat. 

I couple years ago, when we were in New York City, I had a bowl of cream cheese sage soft serve at Momofuku's Noodle Bar.  And ever since, I've wanted to make something similar. I finally got an cream cheese ice cream recipe down that I LOVE! 


Red Velvet Hot Fudge

3 tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 cup evaporated milk
pinch of salt

1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. red food coloring

In a pot, bring the first 5 ingredient to a boil, whisking well.  Boil for just one minute and then remove from the heat. Add the vanilla and red food coloring and allow to cool a bit before serving. This sauce can be refrigerated and warmed when ready to serve. 


Cream Cheese Ice Cream

8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1tsp. vanilla
1 cup evaporated milk

With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until it is very smooth.  Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature or it will clump and not combine well.  Add the sugar and beat again. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for at least 3 minutes, until is is light a fluffy.  Slowly add the evaporated milk and beat until completely combined.  

Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to your machine's instructions.  Store in an air tight container in the freezer.  It's best to freeze this for a couple hours before serving.

Recipe makes enough for 4-6 sundaes.


When I'm hosting a party or get together, I love recipes that can be made days ahead of time.  It creates a lot less stress for the day of the event. These sundaes area  perfect make-ahead dessert.  It would also be fun to add some heart shaped sprinkles to the tops of these sundaes. 

So, for Valentine's Day, are you a go-out or eat-in couple?  This year, I think I'd like to avoid the crowds and make a fun meal for my valentine and finish it with these sundaes.

2 comments:

  1. Red Velvet is my absolute favorite. I'll definitely be trying this!

    Kenzie
    http://simplyjandk.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! Red velvet cake is hands down my favorite dessert and I adore all things cream cheese. Cannot wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...