11.19.2015

Homemade Gingerbread Syrup for Lattes and Milkshakes


I'm good having ice cream all year round. The weather doesn't need to be warm in order for me to enjoy it. And now that all my favorite holiday flavors are popping up, I thought a Gingerbread Milkshake would be a fun dessert for my family. If I go to Starbucks this time of year, it's not the pumpkin spice or peppermint mocha that I really want, it's an gingerbread latte that I crave.  

I decided that instead of buying a syrup that has a whole bunch of weird ingredients and preservatives, I'd make my own gingerbread syrup. I was generous with the spices friends, so a little syrup adds a good punch of flavor.

And to make these an extra special holiday treat, I'm serving them in little glass milk bottles with plaid straws (from the Target dollar section) and plaid scarves around each bottle. You might remember a couple years ago, I served egg nog in bottles with cute little scarves and buttons.  I made these little checked scarves with some wide ribbon.


Gingerbread Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 tbsp. molasses
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves

Bring to a boil and cook for 4 mins on high.  Cool and store in an sealed jar or bottle. Keeps up to 2 weeks in the fridge. When added it to coffee or a latte, take it out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. It can be very thick if it is chilled.

For a Milkshake, combine good vanilla ice cream, with a splash of milk and a little Gingerbread Syrup in a blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...