4.15.2015

Chocolate Chipotle Donuts


About once a year I get this urge to make homemade donuts. My family loves it, but to be honest, I hate frying in my house.  The smell lingers for days, and who wants to feel like they are living in a donut shop?  Ok, well some of you might. So, this weekend the weather was perfect, so I opened every window and door and fried up a couple batches of these sweet and spicy Chocolate Chipotle Donuts. This is a recipe from way back in the early days of O + P.  Since it's been about 4 years since I first posted the recipe, I thought it was time to share it again with new bright, clean pictures.


Chocolate Chipotle Donuts

3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla

3 1/2  cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder

2/3 cup sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper

Vegetable oil for frying

Combine the first 6 ingredients in one bowl and the next 6 ingredients in another bowl.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.  The dough will form into a ball. 

On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 5/8" (just a little thicker then a 1/4").  Cut out donuts and holes. 

Combine the sugar, cinnamon and chipotle in a bowl so that it is ready when the donuts are cooked.

Heat oil to 375F.  I have found that using a thermometer is the only way to go.  If I just guess on the oil temperature I end up burning the outsides and having raw dough on the insides.  Before frying the donuts, dust off any excess flour from the donuts.  Drop the donuts into the oil very carefully and allow to cook on one side for a couple mins. before flipping them over to the other side.  Donuts will turn a nice golden brown color when they are done.  Do not over crowd the pan, cook 3-4 at a time.  Drain cooked donuts on paper towel to remove any excess oil.  Roll donuts in the sugar and spice mixture while they are still warm.  Be sure to coat all sides well.  

Store cooled donuts in an airtight container.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds so yummy! My deep fryer, these donuts, and I have a date as soon as we finish our move. (I personally don't mind it smelling like we live in a donut shop, but prospective buyers might differ. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummo. great pics too! may i ask where the gorg measuring spoons are from? thx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...