2.06.2014

Sausage and Cannellini Bean Soup

Do you need a quick dinner idea that can be made in about 20 minutes?  This hearty and healthy soup is perfect for busy, cold weather days.

I love chicken sausage, I have a favorite one that I get at my local grocery store. It has spinach, feta and fennel in it. But, this recipe would work well with regular Italian sausage as well.



I also love cooked leafy greens. Spinach, kale, beat greens, or Swiss chard, I can't get get enough of them. I've shared that I grew up in Papua New Guinea. They cook all kinds of greens there, even the leaves of pumpkins, which are kind of furry. So when I get a chance, I throw spinach into everything. Plus it's sooo good for you.  I really think that my body craves green veggies. I really feel better when I eat them.



Sausage and White Bean Soup
5-6 links of Chicken Sausage (or Italian Sausage of any kind)
1 onion finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
3 cans of white cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
3 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of water or milk (for a creamier soup)
1 bag of washed baby spinach
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes (or as spicy as you'd like)
salt and pepper to taste

Remove the sausages from their casings.  In a large saucepan, cook the sausage completely, breaking apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks.  Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.  Add the beans, stock and water.  Bring to a boil, season to taste.  Just before serving add the spinach and cook until it just wilts.

Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...