12.09.2013

Swedish Christmas Decor


I can't wait to share with you more of our Sweden trip over Thanksgiving. But, one of the best parts of visiting during Christmas was all the fun Christmas (Jul) decor everywhere.  It was really hard not to want to buy a lot more. So, I attempted to restrain myself, and this is what I came home with.


Stars and hearts are very comment in Swedish Christmas decor (you may have noticed that before at IKEA). We made sure to find a couple thrift stores. My dad and my brother Joash are good at hunting them down.  I found a few gorgeous vintage table clothes at one.  Two are gifts, but I had to keep this grey one for myself.    


We bought Dala horses for all the kids as a keepsake that they'll enjoy into adulthood. I bought a more modern styled Dala horse (which I will share soon) and these adorable salt and pepper shakers.


Cute red and white mushrooms were everywhere.  I asked if they had any significance and I was told that "they were just for cute".  I like that!  So, needless to say, I came home with some tiny mushrooms that need to be displayed in some cute manner.  


Jultompten is the Swedish Santa.  As a kid, we always put cookies out for Santa and rice pudding for Jultompten on Christmas even. Unlike the American santa, he is more garden nome looking. I bought to little ceramic version of him, an all white one (being very Swedish) and a handmade one with a shiny red hat.  


Every home has there windows lit with candles and lights this time of year.  It's so beautiful.  I bought a simple white Swedish advent that holds 4 candles, one for every week in December.  


And finally, I bought some simple "God Jul" (Merry Christmas) wrapping paper and gift tags and a few ornaments for our tree.


If you are interested in any of these items in particular, I would happily try to help you find the source.

6 comments:

  1. such pretty finds! i hope you show us how you display them in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope to. This is such a crazy time of year.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I LOVE all your finds! Next time I'm stowing away in your suitcase so I can see Sweden and its pretty things too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweden is definitely a must see! You would love every inch of it.

      Delete
  3. I like, very cool stuff and the God Jul is Great! Linda M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mushrooms are often seen as part of an Advent wreath, as well. In Germany, they are good luck, particularly in company with shamrocks, horseshoes and chimney sweeps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...