8.20.2013

The Girl's Room



I was going through my Home Tour page here on Oleander and Palm and realized that I didn't have a good link to the girl's bedroom. I shared the reveal to the room on Land of Nod's blog Honest to Nod a while ago, but I thought it would be nice to have access to the pictures here as well.  Some of you may have missed that post, and I LOVE this room.  So, here it is!

My girl's both have vintage beds. Denali's is a full sized metal frame from Lonnie's grandparent's farm and Olivia's crib was my Jenny Lind crib from when I was a baby. Obviously our house is also old, but I think the space needed a splash of modern and playful.  


I ended up getting all the pieces on my inspiration board except the storage bench and the new duvet cover.  I decided there really wasn't room in the space for another piece of furniture. And after getting the adorable gold dot sheets, I was totally fine with keeping her old duvet cover.  The sheets added spunk and a fresh vibe to the bed.  

Taking what we already had and mixing in the new fun things from The Land of Nod, made all the difference.  Even though it has a lot of familiar old pieces, it feels like a whole new space.


I love the juxtaposition created by pairing my Grandma's vintage horse prints with the modern art pieces like The Amethyst.  I played around with the arrangement of art pieces for quite a while before I decided on this arrangement.  I think the colors and shapes play so nicely together.  


The metal bicycle that hangs over the crib was a baby shower gift from a dear friend.  I made a little basket liner and some tissue paper flowers for it.  The bicycle goes well with the quilt my mother in law made for my baby.


I made a couple new pillows for the bed.  The geometric heart is my personal favorite. I made a giant version of this pattern for Valentine's day, it's fun to have a miniature version that I can keep in my home all year long.  

The new leather chair is fabulous.  I really hope when my daughter moves away for college, that this stays with me.  It really added to the modern look I was hoping to infuse into the space.   An extra bonus is that it's very comfortable.


My oldest daughter has a collection of porcelain birthday bears that her Grandma has given her.  I had them on a couple little shelves above her dresser, but I found them a new home in the corner of the room on a shelf from my Grandma's house that I refinished.  Now I'm looking at the space over the dresser thinking that a mirror would look pretty fantastic (this one in particular).


To help with storage issues I made these under crib storage bins.  I found these two wooden drawers are a garage sale, I believe I paid $4 for each of them.  I gave them a coat of fresh white paint, added casters to the bottom, and put a fun glass pull on the front.  Now they slide easily under the crib and help keep the clutter at bay.


I gave their old lamp a facelift with a coat of metallic gold paint and a new shade to match the sheets.  This lamp shade is an easy DIY.  I took an inexpensive white lamp shade, did a little measuring and taping and then I painted on polka dots with metallic gold paint. 


So far the room is working out pretty great.  There are challenges with a toddler and a tween in the same space.  But this is what we have to work with, so we're making the most of every square inch of this space.   

4 comments:

  1. I love the room! May I ask what the wall color is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Pink Elephant, it's a Benjamin Moore paint.

      Delete
  2. Love it! Love that it's a space that's NOT filled with the usual childish rubbish, such as plastic oversized toys and the latest fads (eg Hello Kitty, Bratz or whatever it is these days) in an array of startling fluoro colours.
    The way you have done this is a much calmer sleeping space than one where the child makes the design decisions. I love your mix of old and new items too.
    And that touch of gold.... it's total gold goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love that it's a space that's NOT filled with the usual childish rubbish, such as plastic oversized toys and the latest fads (eg Hello Kitty, Bratz or whatever it is these days) in an array of startling fluoro colours.
    The way you have done this is a much calmer sleeping space than one where the child makes the design decisions. I love your mix of old and new items too.
    And that touch of gold.... it's total gold goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...