6.19.2013

The Brooklyn Flea


Well, I'm FINALLY back. Thanks for your patience friends, this was a much needed break that both my family and I needed.  We have been all over the place the last couple of weeks.  We drove to Idaho (a 14 hour trip), to visit Lon's family. Then while we were there, Lon and I left the kiddos with his very generous parents and flew to NYC.  We got to spend FIVE days there, all by ourselves. Then we flew back into Idaho, spent a few more days with fam.  Then early Monday morning we drove to Lassen Volcanic National Park and met my parents there.  We spent yesterday exploring the park (it's fabulous and I'll be sharing that with you as well), and then this morning we drove to my parent's place in Eureka, CA.  The kids are fantastic travelers and we are having a great summer. And there's still a lot more Summer traveling adventures to come.


We are celebrating our fifteen anniversary this summer and wanted to do it in a big way. It was BIG friends - New York City big. We had such a great time and packed in tons of great stuff and lots of yummy treats. I'll be sharing some of our NYC adventures in the weeks to come. Today I'm sharing our first destination in NYC - the Brooklyn Flea.  My husband is a good sport, and even though he is NOT a shopper, he does enjoy wondering around a flea market.  

Denali would have loved one of these brass owls or cats.
The view of Manhattan from the Flea
I've long been a flea market fan. If there's one happening near by, I'll be there (from France to Santa Fe to the Rose Bowl and everything in between).   The Brooklyn Flea did not disappoint. It was small and quaint and was a great mix of great old stuff and also local artisans work.  And probably some of Brooklyn's best food was there. I wish I would have been a little hungrier, because there were many treats that tempted me, but I just couldn't justify stuffing another thing into my face (especially People's Pops, so I may need to buy their cookbook).

Lon's favorite treat of the day was a Lemon Poppy Seed Donut from Dough. Oh my, it was warm and just a perfectly light yeast donut. They had lots of unique flavors like Passion Fruit Cocoa Nibs and Blood Orange Glazed.


I went for the more dainty, lady like treat - Grilled Maple Bacon Stick from Landhaus. It was the generous hunk of bacon, grilled to crispy perfection, then drizzled in maple syrup and topped with some yummy smoky salt of some sort. One stick was a meal. 


There was definitely a limited selection of furniture and vintage knickknacks, but what was there, was of high quality.  It was like a well curated Flea Market, without all the tacky junk.  I ended up coming home with a handmade mug as my souvenir. I couldn't resist this cute fox piece by SKT Ceramics.  It was hard to choose from all her cute animals and gorgeous pastel glazes.  


Brooklyn was probably my favorite part of NYC. If I had to choose a place to live, Brooklyn would be it. It's hip, young, artsy and is rapidly being refurbished. I love the potential of the place and the people who see that potential. And an added bonus is that Brooklyn has a healthy bike culture.

If you're headed to New York anytime soon, I recommend you take a L train Sunday morning and spend a couple hours at the Brooklyn Flea. 

4 comments:

  1. love the photos! Especially the collection of brass (swoon!) so glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, the brass pieces were a little pricey (like about $30 each - ouch), but it was a really great day.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing some NYC shots! Looks like you guys had a blast! The hand thrown handle-less mugs are my FAV!!...good pick. And the bacon is a crack-up! You're a girl after my own heart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a great time! Brooklyn is my absolute favorite place in NY. My favorite NYC memory is heading to a flea market in Dumbo (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). So much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...