10.12.2012

Curried Butternut Squash Soup


This Fall soup is full of flavor and is such an inexpensive, healthy meal.  Yummy roasted squash is paired with the heat of curry and the sweetness of apples.  It can be a vegetarian meal as well.  I used chicken stock, but vegetable stock could be easily substituted.  This is a recipe that my good friend Gwen used to make.  I've changed it ever so slightly for my family, but it's a Fall favorite in our home.


Curried Butternut Squash Soup
2 lbs. butternut squash (cubes into 1" pieces)
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped apple (granny smith or another tart apple)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. curry powder
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
4 cups chicken or veg. stock
salt and pepper

Place squash on a foil lined baking sheet.  Toss with 2 tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.  Bake for about 40 mins. in a 400F or until the squash is tender.

Sautee the apple onion, celery and bay leaf in 2 tbsp. olive oil until tender.  Stir in the curry powder and garlic.  Add the squash, broth and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to medium heat, simmer for 30 mins.

Blend the hot soup in a blender until smooth.  Serve with cheese, chicken, a dollop of sour cream or
just by itself.


My cute bowl is from West Elm.  Olivia loves this soup.  Because it's a puree, it's like gourmet baby food.  And I'm sure it would freeze well.  We ate the whole pot, so I couldn't save any for later.

3 comments:

  1. I have a curry butternut squash soup recipe that I love- it is different- has coconut milk in it. Might have to try yours- sounds yummy and I like that I could feed it to Carolina. Donita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with coconut sounds good to me. Ineed your recipe Donita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this and the biscuits yesterday. Loved them both! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...