5.02.2012

Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers

Why did we ever eat store bought graham crackers?  These chocolate, homemade versions are so amazing.   I don't know if we can ever go back.  This weekend we went camping in the Mojave Desert.  We have definitely found a new favorite spot.  We climbed on the cliffs, hiked and ate yummy things like s'mores and hobo meals on the fire.  It was nice to get away and just enjoy sometime with our family and the great outdoors.


I have to share my recipe for Chocolate Graham Crackers with you.  They made the best s'mores ever.




Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers
1 cup each of whole wheat and white flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar

Cream butter and sugar together.  In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.  Mix well with a whisk.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.  Place the dough between to floured pieces of parchment paper.  Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into squares (mine were 3"x3") with a pizza cutter.  Chill for 10-15 mins, then transfer the individual square to a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Prick them with a fork and bake for 15-18 mins in a 325 F oven.  Cool on a wire rack.

Here's some images to help with the how to:




I used Martha's recipe for my starting point and then changed a few ingredients here and there.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word Jeran - looks delicious, I will definitely have to try these. Thanks for sharing. Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious. I can even make them here! Now I just need to work up the courage to make my own marshmallows! Thanks for sharing.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. @janice the marshmallows are really pretty easy. I used this recipe and had good results. http://oleanderandpalm.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-marshmallows.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm will have to try or better yet just have you make them for me:) Linda M.............

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely the most delicous graham crackers ever. I will never be able to enjoy store bought graham crackers again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum yum!!! That s'mores looks INCREDIBLE - I must try making my own graham crackers soon!!

    So happy to be a new follower of your lovely blog dear!!!

    xxx,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made them this afternoon for the boys' camp-out tonight. My guess is they are not bringing any home tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you make them with all whole wheat flour? I don't have any white in the house and think these would be great for snack tomorrow? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...