5.23.2011

Rhubarb Buttermilk Muffins

I'm on a rhubarb kick.  It's one of of my favorite bright, fresh flavors.  But, rhubarb can be hard to find in Southern California.  When I was a kid, living in Canada, we had a huge rhubarb plant in our backyard.  My mom would give me a little bowl of sugar and I would pick a piece of rhubarb and dip it in the sugar and eat it.

These simple, but very yummy muffins have just the right the right amount of sweet and tangy.

Rhubarb Buttermilk Muffins


4 tbsp. butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rhubarb
1 tbsp. sugar

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, salt, baking soda).  Chop the rhubarb into 1/4 inch slices, toss 1 tbsp. sugar with the rhubarb.  Beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer.  Add egg and buttermilk, beat.  Add dry ingredients, mix until just combined.  Fold in rhubarb.  Bake @ 375 F for about 25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...