4.20.2015

DIY Chart and Poster Frame


I'm changing things up bit in the living room.  The triangle wall is gone.  I needed a change, and for the first 5 minutes I felt a little regret for taking it down and then I decided all that night white space was just what I needed.  I also decided to hang one large piece instead of the three photos that were there before.

The biology nerd hubby is really pleased with the nature art that is now on our wall.  This vintage school chart I scored is in pristine condition.  I just needed a way to hang it.  So, I decided I'd make a frame for this just like the DIY Tropical Foliage Alphabet chart.   It was so easy to make, I thought I'd share the how-to with you.  It's a great way to hang large scale pieces without putting them behind glass and not just sticking them with thumb tacks (like you did in your college dorm room).  This chart had a weighted bottom, so I decided that I just needed a frame along the top.


Here's what you'll need:
  • Scotch Mounting Tape
  • 2" lattice (about 99c per foot at the hardware store)
  • Brass washers, bolts and #10 machine screws
  • Stain (optional)
  • Drill
  • Screw driver
  • Measuring tape
  • Pencil
  • String or twine
  • 2 small screws


Start by cutting 2 lengths of the lattice.  Cut them about 2" wider on either side of the art piece.  If you would like the wood to be a darker color, like this one, apply a coat of stain and allow the wood to dry.  

Then mark 1" in from the ends of each board and drill the two boards together at once to ensure the holes will line up.


Mark where the chart will sit on the bottom board, making sure the chart is centered on the board.


Apply the mounting tape the length of the board, just inside the lines where you marked where the chart would be.


Adhere the chart to the mounting tape.


From the back of the piece, screw in the screw through both boards.


Add the washer and bolt and tighten down.  For this piece I actually used a 1" washer.  I couldn't find it in brass, so I simply spray painted it gold.  I wanted the brass hardware to stand out, so I decided bigger was better in this case.


Add a couple small screws to the back of the boards to attach the hanging string to. And that's it!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I love this so much! My inner landscape architect self is loving it, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so gorgeous! Your triangle wall was awesome but I love this change. Beautiful styling on that dresser, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I have in mind for our daughter's bedroom, using an old oversized star chart or astronomy map. A great inexpensive and creative way to frame something large. Great job, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...