12.06.2010

Christmas Jam

I think I cut this recipe out of a Taste of Home magazine when I was a teenager (so that is quite a while ago).  This year was the first time I made it, and I'm so glad I hung onto the recipe all this time.  I already love homemade strawberry preserves, but the cranberries in this give it an extra zing.

Christmas Jam
40 ounces frozen whole strawberries or 2 1/2 quarts fresh strawberries
1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
5 pounds sugar
2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
zest of one orange (that's my little addition)
Grind the strawberries and cranberries in a food processor.  Place fruit in a large pot.  Add sugar.  Bring to a full rolling boil; boil one minute.  Remove from the heat; add the pectin.  Cool for 5 minutes; skim the foam.  Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top of the jar.  Tighten caps; process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.  Makes about 14 half-pints.
My mother in law and I made this jam while she was here at Thanksgiving.  We decorated that jars with cute festive paper, tied a silver bell on with cotton twine, and added a tag.  Neighbors and friends will be getting this jam this year.  We ate it on everything, fresh rolls, toast, and on crackers with a slice of brie.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...